Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Soup for breakfast

This recipe is from one of my favourite online cooking websites www.dedemed.com. Dede focusus on North African - Middle Eastern cuisine which I just love as being from the Canary Islands we are only a hop, skip and jump away from Morrocco.

RECIPE
Bring 8 cups water, 1 cup red lentils, 1 cup brown rice and 2 teaspoons salt to the boil and then turn down and simmer for 40min

When it's near the end of cooking then in a frypan cook 1 onion, some garlic, chopped carrot and some spinach for 5 min then add to the pot.
Add 1 teaspoon each cumin, tumeric and coriander and test for seasoning. Simmer for a further 15 min.

At this stage you can puree it or leave it as is, I always puree my soups. Excuse me whilst I eat my breakfast at the computer reading the Simple Savings forum posts!!



Here's a little bit of trivia - when the Sahara desert has one of their sand storms it reaches us and makes the whole sky red, blocking out the sun completely for a whole day. Not so much fun to clean the house up afterwards though!

That's the Canaries on the left of the North African continent.

No comments:

Post a Comment