Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Portuguese Chicken


This is another one of mum's recipes and is from Portugal. We are from the Canary Islands and our culture and cuisine is very similar to portuguese so we love to eat a lot of their food. I really love the salted cod and chicken recipes. Although I've grown up watching mum make salted cod I haven't had a go at cooking it myself as I think I would stuff it up. I haven't had it in years and only get to eat it when I visit mum.

This recipe is one of my favourites that I also grew up on. It's been a couple of years since I have made it as I stopped eating animal products. But since I am back eating chicken again I was reminiscing about making it so I did. It's super easy to make.

Recipe
Chicken drumsticks (approx 8-10)
1 to 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
1 tablespoon parsley (can be dried or fresh - double if using fresh)
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon cornflour mixed in some water (this is optional and is for thickening only you can leave it out if you don't want to use it)

Sautee the garlic in some olive oil
Add the parsley, paprika and salt
Pour in the wine and add the chicken
Allow to come to the boil, cover and turn down. Simmer 15 min
At this point add the cornflour and cook for a further 15min

You can serve it with some potato and veggies or a rice dish. You really need somthing to soak up all the lovely juices. This tastes better once you leave it to cool for an hour and even better the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment