Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Superhero Cape Tutorial

Tutorial

You will need 1 metre of polar fleece fabric. If you are lining yours then you will also need enough flannel to fully cover the inside. I had to buy 2 metres of fabric as the flannel was not as wide as the polar fabric.

The following pictures show you how to make and cut your pattern directly onto your fabric (I used paper as a guide to show you).

You will need to draw a semi circle straight onto your fabric, using a pin, a length of string just under ½ the width of your fabric and a fabric marker. My string was 75cm long. Draw a smaller semi circle at the top, the string for this one measured 13.5cm.



Cut out.



Shape the shoulders and level off any inbalances in the hem line ensuring that the centre front (CF) seam lengths match one another.




And shape the neckline.



Your fabric should end up looking like this (curved shoulders and a scooped neckline at the font).



Sew up the shoulders using a very narrow seam.

Sew up the hemline to about 1.5 to 2cm wide. I shortened my lining by 5cm in length and just overlocked the hemline.

Attach the zipper. If you are not using any lining then it will be pretty straight forward. If you are not very confident at sewing then I would recommend skipping the lining altogether, unless you can find someone to show you how to do it.

Attach the neckband. I measured 8cm (which includes 1cm either side for seam allowance) and measured out the length of the neckline. I didn’t make a note of what my one measured out to be. Pin in place and stitch. I hand sewed the inside into position to give a neater finish. Then sewed on some frog closures so that the capes can be worn unzipped and still be held in place at the neck.

For the logos, I just googled the emblems on line and traced them onto paper off my computer screen (my printer is down). I had to enlarge the superman one so I just cut and spread at 2cm intervals along the length and width to get the right size.

Cut these out of felt



and use spray adhesive to position the colours on top of one another.



Then zig zag stitch them together along the seams.



Position these about 8.5cm down from the centre back neckline and spray a little glue to hold it into position against the cape.



Then zigzag the whole thing onto the cape, remembering not to catch the lining!!

1 comment:

  1. well, that is just too cute. love it that you are a DIYer!

    ReplyDelete